7/8/11

The Beginning - 7/8/11

That day I was just stopping by my mom’s to help her with some charts and organizing folders.
Thinking that was going to be my intro to the birth-world.
Then my mom says:
OK, I have to go to a birth now and you’re going to come with me...
Just like that.

I was nervous: I’m not ready. I don’t know enough. I’m not in the “birth clothes” that I imagined myself to be in. What will I do? What will I say? I’m ill-equipped.

And off we were. What happened in between 2 PM and 11 PM that night, I don’t think I can just describe and expect you to know. Because you can’t know unless you’ve been there. Unless you really know.

I didn’t do much. Made some post-labor tea for the mom and rubbed the charlie-horses out of her legs. But I was there – soaking it all up. Taking it all in. Being there.
Watching my mom. Her calm – ease – knowledge. Could I ever do that? Could I ever be that smart and gentle... and powerful?

When I got home that night, I just kept telling Chris: there’s nothing like it. I can’t explain it because there’s nothing like it.

I’ve heard before: This life. The birth-world – you don’t choose it. It chooses you.

That night. That crazy, unplanned night:
it chose me. 

4 comments:

cathmom said...

The birth workers, those that are chosen, walk in a light that is hard to describe. I can tell already that you are intuitively good. Know that the path is long. Be at peace where you are. When it is time for you to "know" things, you will.
Looooove you Steen Weedie.

Lovely Lindsay said...

on the way to find dad + jeff + lucas camping last night we passed a green street sign in a funny little town called 'STEEN St.'
+++
love this post + can't wait for more.
love, lin

Jade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jade said...

ooooh this makes me so excited for whats to come for you steen. i am so happy that you are shining and letting others see your light i always knew you had! if that makes sense. ha- and true that, what's weird is i have been eating chinese food a lot lately too... whats with us? buffalo wings and chinese food? the cheese gods would be so mad at us.